Looking for something? Try here

Thursday 29 December 2011

At Bertram's Hotel by Agatha Christie





Hello people!

So, I read a book (I really borrowed it from a lending library about a month ago and I had just reached 200/320 pages. I had to do a review at school so I decided that I would complete and that I would complete it today itself.). Via the title, you understand that it's not an uncommon book. For those who know the genres of books I like, it will be easier to understand why I took it. First of all - It's the Queen of Crime; how can I resist? But you will note that I said "easier to understand". Why did I say that? The answer is purely my opinion and nothing else. I think that this is one of the rare books of Christie's that are "behind the veils". But, as always,   the suspense is awesome. And even though this is so boring in the beginning, (believe me, it is. Maybe that's why I took so long to read it.) all the tiny little components really contribute to the brilliant climax. Take my advise when you read this book : read everything with good attention. Otherwise, you'll have to read it all over again. I had to read a chapter once more...

Well, let's go on. This was my first Miss Marple book. As I said, it was damn boring in the beginning, which includes the first 100 or so pages. I just read each page without giving much importance. But I should have known! The first 100 pages of an Agatha Christie book that are unimportant? No, Siree... Again, as mentioned above, I had to read a chapter again. But it was worth it, I tell you! 

OK, the plot is this. There's an old clergyman who is [hell yeah] absent-minded. He often forgets his motives, whereabouts and things of the sort. He was to attend a conference on 'Dead Sea Scrolls', and, because of his trouble-making absent-mindedness (can't blame him), he misses the flight. That's because he goes to the air station on the wrong day. No-one can imagine the story behind the goings-on after that, until later. Chief Inspector Davy a.k.a Father (he is called that because of his seniority in the force) later comes along a hunch that there are way darker secrets behind Bertram's Hotel than just the disappearance of a harmless canon. Even Miss Marple cannot believe that such things can happen in the so old fashioned, calm, and quiet hotel that she was used to from childhood. 

Now let me stop. It won't be no good if I spill out everything here and now. I'm telling you, this is a book that you have to read. The suspense is terrific, majestic, splendid, and all other synonyms you can get out of a thesaurus for the word "brilliant". Anyway, the main reason for the crime is money, like most of the crimes in the world. Oops, have I said too much? Here are two quotes that yours truly made:

What people will do for money, might lead to the eschaton. - Karthik Thrikkadeeri
Why does one want a fortune of money, when one can live life in the best way with some money? - Karthik Thrikkadeeri 
And... here are some quotes by one of my favorites :
Money has never made man happy, nor will it, there is nothing in its nature to produce happiness. The more of it one has, the more one wants. - Benjamin Franklin
He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money. - Benjamin Franklin
Saying bye with a quote from a legend :
 For I can raise no money by vile means. - William Shakespeare
Yeva! 

No comments:

Post a Comment